[78-L] Grappelly.

DanK edisone1 at verizon.net
Tue Oct 21 21:29:24 PDT 2008

Hardly.

 I much prefer Venuti's habit of staying somewhere near the written melody,
while GrapeJelly wanders all over the place in self-indulgent trills and
tricks.
Even in old age, Venuti tended NOT to pretend he knew better than the
composer - he embellished & stretched & 'swung' the piece, without trying to
make up his own tune.