[78-L] Violinists and Dream Discs.

Spats spats47 at ntlworld.com
Tue Oct 21 15:44:14 PDT 2008

Hi!

The violinists I grew up loving on record were...

Mischa Elman, Fritz Kreisler, Jascha Heifetz and Bronislav Huberman.

However, the first records that I fell in love with were...

'Oh! My Beloved Father' from GIANNI SCHICCHI by Puccini, sung by Joan Hammond.
(I was 3yo when I heard that one. It was always on the radio in London in 1950)

Love Me Or Leave Me sung by Ruth Etting (with Joe Venuti and Eddie
Lang, I think).
This was among the first records bought for me by my parents, about
the same year, when my Xmas present was a wind-up portable
gramophone. Great present!

Then, my great uncle played me Caruso singing Elegie Melodie by Massenet.
That 1913 recording did the trick. I was about 6 years old and the
next Saturday morning, I started looking for 78s in the local market!

Earl.