[78-L] THE RECORD COLLECTOR. Desert Island Discs.

Spats spats47 at ntlworld.com
Tue Oct 21 04:24:51 PDT 2008

Hi!

Just so that you know, the rules for choosing the 'Desert Island'
discs in The Record Collector, were to avoid the obvious singers,
such as Caruso and Ruffo as much as possible. The idea was to point
collectors to other, neglected recordings.

Of-course, these were supposed to include only records of classical
singers, though they could be singing more popular songs.

The 1914 Caruso/Ruffo duet would have been far too obvious!

As to the De Reszke Fonotipia, Erwin, very funny!
If you'd care to make an Mp3 of it, I'm sure that we'd all enjoy
hearing it!!! ;-)

I cheated a little, because I really couldn't do without 2 by
ultra-famous singers.

These, bearing in mind the rules, were my final choices.
Naturally, there would normally be some Carusos, Giglis, Bjorlings
among my top 8.

Feodor Chaliapin. Persian Love Song. (My No.1 choice).
Amelita Galli-Curci. PEER GYNT SUITE. Solveig's Song.
Celestina Boninsegna. FORZA. Pace, Pace.
Florencio Constantino. IL DUCA D'ALBA. Angelo Casto E Bel.
Lucrezia Bori. MADAMA BUTTERFLY. Un Bel Di.
Tino Pattiera/Meta Seinemeyer. OTELLO. Gia Nella Notte.
Ferruccio Tagliavini. FALSTAFF. Dal Labbro In Canto.
Gino Bechi. OTELLO. Era La Notte.

Earl Okin.