[78-L] Raquel Meller. Query.

Malcolm Smith malcolms at redshift.com
Mon Oct 20 13:09:17 PDT 2008

Moreschi was the last of the castrati. He appears on solo recordings
and also with other singers. The records are rare and valuable. Some
are on a special Capella Sistina label and at least one of a trio is
on Victor, if I remember correctly. I sold it to Yale from my
collection as they didn't have it. They have issued a CD with all the
known records. In the late1890s, there were at least three castrati
in the choir, witnessed in a book I read, and at one point half of
the singers were castrati. Women were not allowed to sing in the
papal choir

Malcolm.