[78-L] Hefti arrangement

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 20 09:52:08 PDT 2008

Flip a coin..Ralph Burns is credited as arranger on most of the sessions where
they played the song, as is Hefti, but Burns isn't listed on Feb. 1/46.

Per Lord:

Woody Herman & Neal Hefti & 'Till the end of time
[H5156-7] Woody Herman
Woody Herman Show, AFRS 1:
Sonny Berman, Irv Lewis, Pete Candoli, Conte Candoli (tp) Neal Hefti (tp,arr)
Bill Harris (tb,arr) Ralph Pfeffner, Ed Kiefer (tb) Woody Herman (cl,as,vcl)
Sam Marowitz, John LaPorta (as) Flip Phillips, Pete Mondello (ts) Skippy DeSair
(bar) Tony Aless (p) Billy Bauer (g) Chubby Jackson (b) Frances Wayne (vcl)
Ralph Burns (arr) Dave Tough (d)
"Wildroot Radio Show #1",  Cleveland, Ohio, October 13, 1945
     On the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe (wh vcl)    First Heard (E)FH36
     Gee, it's good to hold you (fw vcl;rb arr)
     A kiss goodnight (wh vcl;rb arr)
     'Till the end of time (fw vcl)
     Apple honey (rb arr)
     Put that ring on my finger (wh vcl;rb arr)    First Heard (E)FH36
     Somebody loves me (wh vcl)
     Wild root (nh arr)               -       , FH10
Note: This was the first of 39 weekly "Wildroot" sponsored shows broadcast live
on the ABC radio network. These were also transcribed by AFRS who added extra
titles to compensate for the deleted commercials and time-dated references.
Most of the surviving programs are the AFRS versions.  Even though some of the
sessions do not contain commercial releases, all the Wildroot broadcasts are
included here for completeness because of confusion regarding dates of reissued
tracks.

Woody Herman & Neal Hefti & 'Till the end of time
[H5159-7] Woody Herman
Woody Herman Show, AFRS 4:
"Wildroot Radio Show #4", Boston, Mass., November 3, 1945
     Don't worry 'bout that mule (wh vcl)
     Happiness is a thing called Joe (fw vcl)
     Tampico (wh vcl)
     'Till the end of time (fw vcl)
     I've got the world on a string  (wh vcl)
     If I loved you (fw vcl)
     Apple honey

Woody Herman & Neal Hefti & 'Till the end of time
[H5166-7] Woody Herman
Woody Herman Show, AFRS 8:
Sonny Berman, Irv Lewis, Pete Candoli, Shorty Rogers (tp) Neal Hefti (tp,arr)
Ralph Pfeffner, Bill Harris, Ed Kiefer (tb) Woody Herman (cl,as,vcl) Sam
Marowitz, John LaPorta (cl,as) Flip Phillips, Mickey Folus (ts) Sam Rubinowitch
(bar,fl) Tony Aless (p) Billy Bauer (g) Chubby Jackson (b) Don Lamond (d)
Frances Wayne (vcl)
"Wildroot Radio Show #8", New York City, December 1, 1945
     My guy's come back (wh vcl)    Joyce 1099
     'Till the end of time (fw vcl)    First Heard (E)FH10
     Gotta be this or that
     It's only a paper moon (wh vcl)    Joyce 1099, First Heard (E)FH10
     It's been a long long time (fw vcl)
     Your father's mustache (wh vcl;nh,bh arr)         -                 -
     [Hurry back to] Sorrento (wh vcl)
     Blowin' up a storm (nh arr)         -

Woody Herman & Neal Hefti & 'Till the end of time
[H5181-7] Woody Herman
Woody Herman Show, AFRS Show 15:
Sonny Berman, Irv Lewis, Pete Candoli, Shorty Rogers (tp) Neal Hefti (tp,arr)
Ralph Pfeffner, Bill Harris, Ed Kiefer (tb) Woody Herman (cl,as,vcl) Sam
Marowitz, John LaPorta (cl,as) Flip Phillips, Mickey Folus (ts) Sam Rubinowitch
(bar,fl) Tony Aless (p) Billy Bauer (g) Don Lamond (d) Frances Wayne (vcl) On
(1) Leonard Feather, spotlight one band member each week Red Norvo (vib),
Chubby Jackson (b) Blue Flames (vcl),  : Gabe Drake (vcl) Deutsch Twins (vcl)
Lucille Linwood (vcl)
"Wildroot Radio Show #17", New York City, February 1, 1946
     Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow (wh vcl;nh arr)

     Great Northern (rb arr)    Joyce 1021
     Flip the whip (woodchoppers)         -    , First Heard (E)FH36, Swing House
         (E)SWH19
     It might as well be spring (fw vcl)
     Chubby's blues (wh vcl)
     It's only a paper moon (bf vcl)
     'Till the end of time (fw vcl)    First Heard (E)FH36
     I can't believe that you're in love with me (wh vcl)

     Red top (nh arr)
     Everywhere (rb,nh arr)    First Heard (E)FH20

dl