[78-L] test pressing query

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Sun Oct 19 12:44:19 PDT 2008

This is not my area of expertise, so perhaps somebody on the list can
advise.  A friend of mine found a big album of 78s at a flea market--
he didn't know what they were (I mean, he knew what 78s are, but as
you will see, this confused us both) and was curious about several things.

First, the album contains about 18 records, all of which say "TEST
PRESSING, Columbia Recording Corporation."  Some have greenish-blue
labels, some have white labels.  None identifies the artists, but all
say "Budapest" on the label.  A couple of the matrix numbers:  XLP
8021-16, and the label reads "Beethoven Q'tet, Budapest." Another
reads XLP 9774-!E, and another reads XLP 8020-16.  Some have the
words "Op. 18" on them (I assume that's Opus).  Later in the
collection of test pressings, it sames "Brahms" rather than Beethoven
but still says "Budapest" and "q'tet" on all of them.

When might these have been recorded and by whom?  And typically, who
would have received this heavy album of 18 test pressings--
reviewers?  Concert promoters?  I doubt they would have been sold to
the general public with no name of the group, would they have?