[78-L] Producing acoustic sounds for the movies

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Sat Oct 18 17:50:45 PDT 2008

This has nothing to do with the movies but a couple of years ago I was working on a CBC broadcast with a concert dedicated to the music of Fritz Kreisler.  About a half a dozen violinists came and performed various Kreisler compositions including his string quartet.  Throughout the concert, a narrator told Kreisler's story and at the end, the last word, (note), was given to Kreisler himself.  I brought in from home my Brunswick table model Gramophone and an acoustic recording of "Midnight Bells" by Kreisler.  Dramatically, as the announcer said, "...the last thing we'll hear this evening is the sound of Fritz Kreisler's violin", all the lights in the studio went down with only one spot illuminating the Brunswick as the host violinist walked over and placed the arm on the record.  We found out at the rehearsal that the sound of the Gramophone wasn't near loud enough to fill Glenn Gould Studio.  We didn't want to artificially play a recording through
 the PA system.  So we placed a small Pressure Zone Microphone on the table in front of the Brunswick, fed its sound to a small speaker under the table and was able to produce the sound of the record sonically from that location and managed to fool everyone in the audience that what they were hearing was the Gramophone itself.

db