[78-L] Sephardic music website

Joel Bresler joel.br at verizon.net
Thu Oct 16 19:30:21 PDT 2008

Dear Friends:

I am very pleased to announce the launch of my site, www.sephardicmusic.org.
The site chronicles the first 100 years of commercial Sephardic recordings.
It includes survey articles on the 78 and modern eras, a comprehensive
discography of Sephardic 78s, and a sample of what the proposed discography
of modern-era recordings would look like.

I have tried to take advantage of the web's multimedia capabilities to
expand well beyond the normal contents of a discography (artist, title,
place and date recorded, etc.) Wherever possible, I include label graphics
and sound samples. A Union Catalog feature shows which public institutions
own a particular recording, and I have normalized the songs' titles so that
users can find all versions of any given song. Last, I have included
information on the labels that published these recordings, the artists that
made them, and the stores that sold them. I would welcome your comments.

With more and more collectors digitizing their titles, I think there is a
great opportunity for hosting vernacular 78s on the Web. Instead of
satisfying ourselves with a limited diet of CD re-releases, we can now
contemplate the prospects of access to the majority of the releases. (While
I am no lawyer, Canadian and European releases of traditional songs on 78
should all be in the public domain by now.)

I will be glad to explore the possibilities in this discussion thread. I
would also like to thank the list's management and participants for the
amazing amount of help provided me over the past decade.

Very best,

Joel Bresler

sephardicmusic.org
Joel Bresler, Publisher
250 E. Emerson Road
Lexington, MA 02420
United States

www.sephardicmusic.org
1-781-862-4104 (Telephone & FAX)
joel.br at verizon.net
IN CASE OF VERIZON EMAIL PROBLEMS, PLEASE USE MY BACK-UP EMAIL:
joelbresler-at-gmail.com