[78-L] Concert pitch (was: no subject)

James Tennyson jtennyson at sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 16 06:34:09 PDT 2008

Speaking as a piano technician,  I think you should be aware that Steinway
was  designing their pianos to be tuned at A= 440 from the 1870's on, that
is to say after they consulted with von Helmholtz.  I think a lot of the
discussion of pitch is really rather fatuous. After about 1890  in North
America at least, most organizations were tuning ( the pianos at least)  at
either A=440 or A = 435.  I think a lot of debate around pitch is the result
of  researchers reading  that 440 wasn't adopted officially until an
international conference in 1939. This puts a lot of musicologists off the
scent as it were and leads to a lot of  rather silly conclusions about
pitch.  Tuners from about 1880  were carrying tuning forks which produced
either A= 440 or A =435. and I suspect most  carried both forks.  My oldest
set of tuning forks dates from  before 1914 and the A is a delightful...and
exact  ...440 Hertz.    A= 435    by the end of the 19th century was
referred to as "Diapason Normal " in France and  " International Pitch " in
the States. Again the terminology has confused musicologists who confuse it
with the CURRENT international pitch which was adopted in 1939 as I pointed
out .
One of the most interesting anecdotes about pitch can be found in a book
entitled The Accompanist. It is the memoirs of the superb Andre Benoist who
accompanied everyone who was anyone in the early years of the 20th century .
When he was touring with Lillian Nordica  in 1906 he was sent to every hall
to check the pitch of the piano lest it be set..horror of horrors...at A=440
: Madame by that point wanted an easy flight to her high C's. I won't go
into the full story,,,which resulted in Benoist being slapped by Guess
Who....but it shows that those who maintain that low pitch was the norm
until god knows when are completely wrong.
And what am I doing this very morning? Tuning a piano at A -430...that is to
say " Classical Pitch"  so that it can be used during rehearsals of Mozart
at Opera Atelier here in Toronto! Ironic n'est-ce pas?
Jim Tennyson.

Message: 7