[78-L] (no subject)

Malcolm Smith malcolms at redshift.com
Wed Oct 15 13:55:49 PDT 2008

Interesting. A problem you don't mention is the fact that 440 isn't
the pitch that was always used. 423 !/2 was another in use. I think I
have the number right. One often sees the first violin providing a
pitch to the string section which often is tuned sharp. The point
about vibrato  is well taken. Ultimately, familiarity with a singers
voice is essential.

I made CDs from a lot of old vocal records and it was a very time
consuming project because of the time I spent adjusting the turntable
speed. Sometimes I thought I had it right and later found myself
going back and re-doing recordings.

Malcolm Smith.