[78-L] Orville Knapp

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Oct 14 19:29:38 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "J.F. Bennett" <citypointsb at gmail.com>
> I wonder did audiophiles of the twenties
> have these speed conversations?

I suspect that serious collectors of classical vocal discs may have been
debating
recording speeds in earlier days...since they were the folks who primarily
raised
that question in ensuing years...?!

Also, musicians who tried to copy riffs and solos from commercial records
(and they probably existed...?!) also needed to play these discs at the
exact
speed at which they were recorded (I learned this from trying to play
harmonica
with records I owned...only to discover that players did NOT play them back
in their exact keys all too often...?!)

But...a "speed control" (usually without any accurate calibration...?!) was
standard feature of vintage record machines...until synchronous AC motors
were available to standardize playing speed (EVEN if that WASN'T the
actual speed...?!)

...stevenc