[78-L] (no subject)

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 14 15:21:22 PDT 2008

Chris Zwarg wrote:

> Sometimes the change was forgotten about, and all sessions cut in the same studio for several weeks might then run slow.

This could happen even in more "modern" times..a famous example concerns Jascha
Heifetz's recordings of two concertos in the late 30s. The equipment had last
been used at 80RPM (don't ask) and hadn't been set back to 78. They recorded
the Prokofieff 2nd Violin Concerto and the Brahms, and found they were using up
too much groove space. For the Prokofieff, they figured they were in the
ballpark and nobody knew the work anyway, but they rerecorded the Brahms.

As I've noted a number of times, Decca's New York studios cut slow right
through 1947, Chicago was even slower (you need to pitch those recordings close
to 4% to 5% higher) while their Los Angeles recordings were pretty close to
correct. Brunswicks from 1932 through about 1936 are also all over the joint,
with the twelve-inchers being the worst..the ShowBoat album needs to be taken
up a minimum of 3% (the LP and CD issues were made from lovely new vinyl
pressings, all dutifully played at 78).

Tape changed the whole thing again. RCA's Canadian 78s from 1950 on are all
about 2% slow. Believe me.