[78-L] Moten's "South"

Iñigo Cubillo ice261263 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 07:13:20 PDT 2008

Since a younger lad of thirteen I longed to posess this disc. I listened to
it in the radio, from a spanish station that used to play old 78s every
sunday morning. Since I found this, I copied every issue of that program,
and I still keep all those tapes (casettes). South was the very first song I
taped, so I listened to it hundreds of times. Then I had no 78s nor
gramophones (yet). You all can well imagine how magic seemed all that to
me...  I began collecting 78s at the age of fifteen, and now I've got a
serious collection of 78s and gramophones. In spite of this, I've not been
able to get a copy of Moten's South until last year, thanks to Nauck.

Mine is a strange copy: labelled Vi-24893 on the side where SOUTH is, but
the other side is labelled Vi-25349 (Dorsey's "On the beach at Bali-Bali").
The SOUTH side of the record has engraved the original issue V-38021 on the
runout area.

Greetings,

Inigo