[78-L] Earliest born to record (was Engraved records)

Chris Zwarg doctordisc at truesoundtransfers.de
Tue Oct 14 12:31:50 PDT 2008

At 21:24 14.10.2008, you wrote:
>That should leave François Planté, the French pianist, born in 1839 about third or fourth oldest.  He recorded for Columbia in 1930 at age 90!
>
>Then the other question is, who was the oldest living musician to record?  Mieczyslav (?) Horszowski was recording and concertizing at age 95!  Toscanini? Stokowski? Casals?
>
>Howard

Dutch-German operetta tenor Johannes Heesters, born 1903, issued a newly recorded CD single to celebrate his 100th birthday, and still sings in public occasionally (last time that I heard of just a few weeks ago, and he has announced that he plans to give a concert on his 105th birthday, Dec.5th 2008). That'll be hard to beat...

Chris Zwarg