[78-L] Playback speeds - was: Re: Orville Knapp

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 14 11:47:54 PDT 2008

A couple of reasonably easy methods I use to determine playing speeds, rather
than relying on set rules (such as "Columbia is always 80, Victor acoustical is
always 76")...

1. Get a pitch pipe. Ten bucks.
2. Determine the key of the piece of music..not as difficult as it sounds. If
it's classical, you can probably find an online version somewhere. If it's
jazz, blow B flat, E flat, C sharp or any of the commonly used keys (Norman
Field's website which is around here somewhere gives a good indication of the
most popular keys, based mostly on what notes are easy for brass players) and
adjust till you're hearing tones that match the music. 78s can be up to a half
tone off or more, and Chris has already noted the possible pitch changes that
can occur (Polydors in the 20s have this habit of dropping about one minute
into the side), and you'll run into the odd puzzling record that falls evenly
between two keys..but you'll have fun figuring it out.

dl