[78-L] Moten's "South"

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Oct 13 18:25:29 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> 8194 is correct..Ross Laird doesn't commit to an exact date in his OKeh
> book,
> Rust says "c. Nov. 29/24". Vine Street Blues is the flip.
>
> J.F. Bennett wrote:
>> I'm curious why two Victor numbers. Also how long was this in the
>> catalogue?
...which DL didn't answer, oddly!

"South" was originally issued as a Victor "race record" (the V-38###, which
finally found a while back...)! Apparently, c. 1934 the side became/stayed
in
demand...and as a result appeared in the popular 2#### series...where it
remained virtually until the end of 78-dom!

...stevenc