[78-L] Moten's "South"

J.F. Bennett citypointsb at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 13:11:06 PDT 2008

Gents,

  WOW! All the way to the 45 era. That's one popular tune. Of course it is a
great number. Moten has at least four numbers in my all time favorite list:
*South, Rumba Negro, Pass-out Lightly *&* Moten Stomp.
   *The 44-0004 was the jukebox issue I presume? For a dub mine sounds
pretty good. I'll have to dig it out and re-examine the run-out groove on
both. That would explain why the fellow I was looking it up for was having
trouble setting an EQ level. This stuff is over my head Ha Ha Ha! He used
something he called the inverse RIAA EQ curve then the 1947, 1938 and
Orthophonic EQ curves and none were satisfactory. Right now he's also using
a Shure 2.5 conical stylus.
  Thanks again to everyone for all the help!

Phonographically,

John B.