[78-L] Silent Goons, was Re: film request for a silent 78 side

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Oct 12 20:15:11 PDT 2008

Alan Bunting wrote:
> David,
>
> As Wholenote is published in  Toronto (a bit closer to you than me here in Scotland) perhaps you could ask Jim Galloway if his memory is playing tricks.  The record shop I worked in in the 1950s sold hundreds of Goon records, not one of which contained anything titled Silent Night, nor does it appear in any Decca or Parlophone catalogues of that time. As you have already pointed out, "I'm Walking Backwards For Christmas" was backed with Bluebottle Blues.

No chance that it might have been a one-off done by the Beeb?

> Milligan did record a version of Silent Night on a Parlophone LP but that was a vocal.
>
> For those interested, the 4 Decca singles were:
>
> I'm Walking Backwards For Christmas / Bluebottle Blues F 10756
>
> The Ying Tong Song / Bloodnok's Rock'n'Roll Christmas F 10780
>
> I Love You / Eeh! Ah! Oh! Ooh! F 10885
>
> A Russian Love Song / Whistle Your Cares Away/ F 10945
>
> Only the first enjoyed an American release.

I'm pretty sure one of the other discs had a North American release because I
remember seeing THE GOONS on a London release sheet before I knew who they
were, but we weren't getting automatic promo singles at that point. And I've
never run across it. For that matter, Bluebottle Blues on Canadian London
probably didn't sell 5 copies..the only copy I've ever seen is the one we got
at the time.

> Two more titles were recorded but not released (it is said the tapes disappered, hence the story about Decca having insufficient funds to re-record the mythical silent record)

Aside from The Raspberry Song and (duh..can't remember, the LP is down the
hall, and it was recorded after The Goon Show Companion was published)?

dl