[78-L] Mit-Out Sound

Ron L'Herault lherault at verizon.net
Sun Oct 12 11:32:47 PDT 2008

MOS, Mute onstage sound?

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: 78-l-bounces at klickitat.78online.com
[mailto:78-l-bounces at klickitat.78online.com] On Behalf Of Randy Skretvedt
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2008 1:28 PM
To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
Subject: [78-L] Mit-Out Sound

dl, yes indeed, MOS stands for Mit-Out Sound,
referring to the German directors prevalent in the
film industry during the late silent-early talkie era.
 I found this in several textbooks when I was a film
production student back in the '70s.  A scene shot
with sound is SOF or Sound on Film.  Maybe they used
MOS instead of "Silent" because they wanted another
three-letter acronym to go with SOF, I dunno.

Randy Skretvedt

Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 11:17:35 -0400
From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>

>Is there any truth to the oft-told story that the
term MOS dates back
>to many years ago when a producer of ethnic
background said that >he wanted the scene shot MIT OUT
SOUND?