[78-L] New World Ballads

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Oct 11 21:55:53 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Steven C. Barr wrote:
>>> Does anyone have a Victor number directory which would indicate the
>>> contents of records 130847 and 130848? DB
>> Or...even better..does anyone out there in Radio-Land happen to own the
>> (presumably?!) 12" HMV-Victor discs...?! If these are actually from UK
>> matrices, the matrix numbers should appear in the run-out (likewise, if
>> these were Montreal recordings...same thing applies...?!)
>> ...stevenc
> I've seen next to NO matrix numbers on Canadian Victor recordings except
> private ones and transcriptions, as well as some from the late 40s and
> early 50s.

Okeh, my mistake...I was thinking of Compo recordings, which DO show a
matrix number! I have seen a VERY few Victor(C) PR-series records which
show a numeric matrix number...but that WASN'T standard practice...!

OTOH...what I MEANT was that if the recordings were, for whatever reason,
mastered in the UK (thus explaining the 130* catalog number...?!), the
matrix
would have appeared in the run-out...!

...stevenc