[78-L] Philadelphia 1917 and the Liberty Bell

James Tennyson jtennyson at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 11 06:03:50 PDT 2008

Concerning the 1915 recording, I have a dim recollection of having read
somewhere that the Liberty  Bell was recorded in order that the record could
be played in connection with some of the ceremonies at the  Panama-Pacific
Expostion in San Franciso. I can't recall if the record was supposed to be
played there or if was part of the trans-continental telephone line
ceremonies. Bell Telephone officially inaugurated  the trans continental
service to coinicde with the Fair.  I am really talking off the top of my
head here, but does this sound familiar to anyone?
The line was used in October to transmit Miller Reese Hutchison's  recorded
address to Thomas Edison who was at the Fair
http://www.archive.org/details/EDIS-SRP-0206-01 ( It's played much too fast
too.)

Message: 2