[78-L] Philadelphia 1917 and the Liberty Bell

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 10 10:47:31 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-10 at 12:45 -0400, Bud Black wrote:
> I believe the recording of our Liberty Bell was reproduced on a Columbia
> recording called "I Can Hear It Now."

That may be different. On NBC's D-Day coverage in 1941, they cut to a
remote at Independence Hall in which the Mayor of Philadelphia rang the
Liberty Bell.  This was done by striking the outside of the bell with a
heavily padded mallet, not by actually moving the bell so the clapper
could strike it.

It sounds weak, partly because of the padding and partly because of the
metal pieces holding together the bell's fissure, which will dampen the
vibrations of the bell. But it was rung live on the radio.

MS