[78-L] recording times

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Oct 9 21:04:39 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "joe at salerno.com" <jsalerno at earthlink.net>
>I believe I also had one of those 3" Aiwa machines, my first.
> Next came a Norelco that was capstan driven, would accomodate a reel up
> to 10.75 inches, ran at only 3.75 ips. I recorded many a tape on that
> machine and still have some of them.
> joe salerno

I had a large Sony machine (my brother bought it through the BX while
stationed in Germany with the USAF!) which I used as the "centre" of
my sound system! Had it repaired twice (same problem, but the first
attempt FAILED!!)! I didn't use it that much for r2r recording (after
recording many of my 78's using left/right switching to make it an
honorary monophonic 1-track...thus a functional 4-track machine...?!),
but it was the functional centre of my "sound system"...!

...stevenc