[78-L] noise reduction software

Christopher Steward chris.1picc at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 9 13:45:06 PDT 2008

It's very interesting to read about other people's experiences of using computer software for dealing with noise of 78s. I'm not in a position to invest in expensive software, but I have tried a number of programs up to about £200, and have been very disappointed by many. The best one I've tried for automatic declicking is ClickRepair; the producer of that has also brought out DeNoise and Low Frequency DeNoise (and also Equalizer, which is free). The decrackle is good too, and so is the decrackle of X-OOM; in fact I know someone who declicks in ClickRepair and decrackles in X-OOM. An excellent feature of the latter is the Interpolation feature, in other words the manual declicker: not only will it interpolate a clean waveform, but by extending the interpolation area beyond a heavy click it will pull waveforms back round the zero line and thereby eliminate the low-frequency thud that so often gets left behind. I prefer using this to the equivalent
 feature in Cool Edit, even with the ClickFix plugin.
   I have no connection with the firms that produce these programs, but I can recommend anyone who's looking for something very modestly priced to try them.
Chris