[78-L] sleeve date needed

fnarf at comcast.net fnarf at comcast.net
Thu Oct 9 12:52:09 PDT 2008

Michael Biel writes:

> >> For the record, this sleeve notes The Talking Machine Co. is the
> >> "exclusive showrooms for Victor" at 143 S. Broad. and the N.E. corner of
> >> Broad and Columbia.  The first one is right by City Hall.  What's there
> >> now?
> >>
> fnarf at comcast.net wrote:
> > There's no such street as "South Broad" in New York anymore,
>
> PHILADELPHIA !!!!!   I mentioned the city earlier in the post and it's
> there on the picture.  Sorry for the confusion.

OK, that address in Philly is a large commercial block called the Wachovia Building. Presumably it will be called something else soon, after the courts decide who gets to buy whatever assets Wachovia has left.

The building was built in 1927, and is a pretty impressive example of pre-war commercial building. It's 30 stories high. It used to be called the Fidelity-Philadelphia Trust Company Building, and in 1983, it was the headquarters of "Duke & Duke" in the movie Trading Places.

I don't know where to look for historical photographs of Philadelphia. Would this have likely been 18th-century rowhouses before this was built?

--
Steve Thornton