[78-L] sleeve date needed

fnarf at comcast.net fnarf at comcast.net
Thu Oct 9 11:47:41 PDT 2008

Michael Biel writes:

> For the record, this sleeve notes The Talking Machine Co. is the
> "exclusive showrooms for Victor" at 143 S. Broad. and the N.E. corner of
> Broad and Columbia.  The first one is right by City Hall.  What's there
> now?

There's no such street as "South Broad" in New York anymore, though there is a "Broad Street", which isn't by City Hall; it's further down, at the very tip of the island, running south from Wall Street right to the water (well, South Street) near the Staten Island Ferry terminal. If the street numbering hasn't changed, and this is the same street, 143 would be right at the water end, and it's a big steel and glass skyscraper now, looks 70s to me (seen on Google Street View). There is no actual "143" there anymore.

I'll poke around and see if I can find any historical photographs of the street.

--
Steve Thornton