[78-L] 78s To Computers.

Swamp Daddy swampdaddy at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 9 08:45:13 PDT 2008

Earl:  That part of the thread produced many replies; and, everyone has their own method of solving the transfer problem.   And, as most of us are doing this only for ourselves (and maybe a few friends) I think the methods are all fine.

However, as Chris notes slightly later in a post, if your end intent is professional you have to do things differently.  My own efforts in transferring 78s are strictly for myself and I don't mind less than perfect results.   I do use, when I feel like it, the DCart32 software.   I got a much older version of what they sell now used; and, fairly cheap (basically free) from someone who was a professional and was upgrading to a new and very expensive version of the software.

In the restoration area I am strictly a dabbler; and, I hope to learn more as I am now retired.

For others out there:  Do standalone CD recorders offer differing sample rates that you can choose when recording analog material?  I know that my software offers up to 320 kb/sec (twice what is generally considered CD quality IIRC correctly) if you want no losses.  Mostly it is a matter of space on your hard drive I guess as to how much, and what quality you can store things at.

have fun, Harry (aka Swamp Daddy at times using my email handle)