[78-L] recording times

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Oct 8 23:12:51 PDT 2008

I also recall (dimly) an Aiwa non-capstan-driven mini-r2r machine that used
3" reels of tape and was battery-powered...c.1959, IIRC! We young folks
(well, I WAS...once upon a time!) used to sneak them under each other's
front (car) seats in hopes of recording something titillating. Since the
tapes
couldn't be played on any other machine...and to some extent even the
individual machines couldn't play tapes made by others exactly "on speed"...
(and the speed was also a function of battery condition...?!) these never
became anything more than a fun novelty, AFAIK...?!

...stevenc