[78-L] recording times

Swamp Daddy swampdaddy at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 8 16:27:59 PDT 2008

Joe:  The dust heap of technology has many, many things that came and went "quickly".   Most of them deserved "the went".  The odd, 3rd speed was the next one up:  7-1/2 ips.     The main criteria for sucessful recording technology is "recording time".    Reel to reel started off I don't know where; but, when I first learned of it (before I could afford it) the speeds were 30 ips, and 15 ips.   As recording technology improved (primarily in the heads back then) speeds went to 15 ips and 7-1/2 ips (more and more time on the same tape).   Still 'reel to reel' was the esoteric end of the hobby as LPs were preferred by most for both fidelity and convenience.    Electronics were getting better all the time meaning better fidelity and less hiss and high end harmonics; and, before you know it 3-3/4 speed was introduced which gave 60 minutes on a 7" reel (from a half-heimers memory on this one).   Now most consumer machines would have only 7-1/2 or 3-3/4 ips speeds.   My first machine was a Wollensack that had 15, 7-1/2 and 3-3/4 on it; 3-speed machines were not rare; but, not commonly used either.  Reel to reel probably reached a peak when 4 track recording came in and was of decent quality (meaning 2 tracks for each direction doubling playing time without mounting a new tape.)

Next, attention was paid to the convenience factor (as many objected to the laborious threading of tapes, possible damage, etc.)  It was noticed that most dictation machines were running at either 7-1/2 or 3-3/4 ips.   So attempts were made to increase the fidelity on casettes.   This was achieved (and the 8 track slid in here for awhile because of the convenience factor, especially in cars); but, it was realized quickly that 7-1/2 and 3-3/4 would NOT allow the proper recording times on then available casettes.  This would make consumer acceptance low at best.

In a short period of time when several manufacturers saw a good potential for this "easy to use" medium of casettes these problems were solved and audio casettes were standardized at 1-7/8 ips at decent fidelity.  Better tapes, better electronics, etc.  And, even the shortest tapes would do 45 minutes (more than enough for an LPs worth of music).   And, all pre-recorded music was/is done on 1-7/8 ips by agreement.

And DL is totally correct.  If you have a collection of Hi-Fi mags going back a few decades you will see amazing things in them that did NOT make it despite being bally-hooed about.  I recall the arguements (which still may be going on) among tube fans amplifiers about push-pull, class A, class AB, etc.

Swamp Daddy

PS-I don't claim to be the expert in all these areas; but, I've lived through these eras and read of most of these items many times over.  I've even owned a few of them.  In the last move (about 9 months ago) I finally got the nerve to throw away most old magazines I'd kept for years.  In hobbies other than audio too.