[78-L] 78s to computers

Swamp Daddy swampdaddy at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 8 14:31:25 PDT 2008

Chris:  Not sure what cables you have used; but, the two I tried did not work well; and, I even added an extra ground wire to be sure. There was a definite loss in quality via the cables I used which were "Monster" audio cables (15 meters).  And, how much you loose in a casette deck transfer depends on the decks doesn't it; and the tape you use too.  I've used good tapes, even metallic ones at times; and, considering the frequency response of most 78 material I think the casette is adequate for the few I do.

And, perhaps, I should have whinned a bit more about my situation.  The stereo is in the living room; the computer is in the basement at the opposite end of the house.  That Thorens weighs about 40 pounds and I sure don't feel like packing it up and down the narrow and steep basement stairs period, much less do it several times.

Obviously you don't like casette performance and that's OK with me.  Everyone does what suits them best.  Were I involved in some professional stuff I would sure do things differently; but, as I am strictly an amateur at this I do what works for me, for my own satisfaction.  Do you recall the days when casette decks had 2, and even 3, speeds?   Current decks have only one, the ultra slow 1-7/8ths ips.   Mine (an old Sharp) has 3-3/4 and 1-7/8 ips speeds (and I use the higher speed for my work).  When this deck fails again (it has been repaired a number of times), I may have to consider other means.

In general I will agree with you that the casette method is not the best; but, I'm not making CD quality restorations with the intention to sell anyway.    I have another old amp I am now servicing and if I get some decent output tubes I may transfer the 78 turntable and this amp permanently to the basement.

And, I would NOT dream of moving the computer anywhere except if the basement flooded.  The case is a CoolerMaster Stacker 801, and probably weighs close to 80 pounds.   Google "Coolermaster Stacker" to see how big it is.

And, I'm really NOT defending my method as being great, I'm simply adding more information to the earlier post.

Harry, less the perfectionist than I might have seemed.  LOL.