[78-L] Inner sleeves

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 8 09:14:40 PDT 2008

And some of them came in paper sleeves, and some of them came in very stiff
cardboard jackets, and some of them had a flap at the top or the side, and some
of them opened to the left or to the right or were open at the top. Columbia
went through several types of jacket, including a flimsy piece of paper
attached to one stiff sheet of cardboard, a sturdy paper sleeve, a flimsy paper
sleeve etc. Decca, Capitol, MGM and Victor seem to have settled quickly on good
cardboard sleeves. Mercury jazz and popular LPs (at least in Canada) came in
glossy heavy duty paper sleeves with a flap on the LEFT, and no liner notes
(and often no artist info). Some of their classical LPs came in very stiff
generic cardboard jackets with a die-cut front hole and a catalog on the back,
so the label was your only indication of the disc's contents. Remingtons were
first issued in flimsy paper sleeves. All of these were in our house by 1952.

dl