[78-L] Fwd: Montréal^

Mike Richter mrichter at cpl.net
Tue Oct 7 07:52:34 PDT 2008

Howard Friedman wrote:
> Bertrand,
>
> I believe that you can access almost any letter with the desired diacritical markings through the use of Alt + a number.  Thus, ALT+135 = ç, ALT+128 = Ç,,ALT+130 = é, ALT+0201 = É,   etc., etc., etc.  Almost all of the diacritical marks can be accessed through ALT +nnnn, where nnnn in between 128 and 172, and between 0189 and 0255.

First, on the PC one must use the numberic keypad, not the numbers below
the function keys.

Second, the safe diacriticals are those in the original HTML
specifcation. They are not preëmpted <G> for other characters in any
typeface I have seen. That covers most of the special French characters
including diereses on i and e and ae, but not the oe digram. Inverted ?
and ! are not on the list either.

That does not mean that you can't use a character not in the HTML
vocabulary, only that using it risks misreading depending on the
reader's mail client.

Mike
mrichter at cpl.net
http://www.mrichter.com/