[78-L] A silent Goons record?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Oct 6 10:34:13 PDT 2008

The question really is whether these are pressings from the BBC
Transcription Service or if they are lacquer masters that might be of
the unedited original Home Service or Light Programme broadcasts.  I
would tend to think that they are T.S. pressings.  Even so, there are
collectors who would love to have them on disc, especially 16-inch.  I
think the educational radio series in the U.S. in the 60s and 70s were
on 12-inch microgroove.  I have the full sets of 12-inch discs for the
"My Word" and "Round the Horne" distributions and a letter to the
station apologizing that they were out of the Goon Show discs.

"The Great Tuscan Salami Scandal" was restored on Vol. 7 but "The Treasure in the Lake" doesn't seem to unless it is a mislabeling of the 1956 "The Treasure of Loch Lomand."  That is the identification of the program on the disc set itself of Vol 3, although the contents as listed on the web show "The Treasure In The Lake."  I don't have my copy of "The Goon Show Companion" right at hand to see whether the latter might be a redo or revision of the program of the other title.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com