[78-L] Kipling as Lyricist

Mike Richter mrichter at cpl.net
Sun Oct 5 21:10:56 PDT 2008

Dnjchi at aol.com wrote:
> Years ago, when doing my radio show, I considered a show devoted to the
> words of Kipling set to music.  "On the Road to Mandalay" comes  immediatelly to
> mind, as well as "I Learnt About Women from 'Er".  I didn't  do the show
> because I couldn't locate enough songs.  Can anyone along the  line add others songs
> based on Kipling's poems?

The Road to Mandalay is one of the Barrackroom Ballads of which several
have been set by various composers. Perhaps the most interesting setting
is by Cobb and sung by Peter Dawson. The interest lies in Dawson having
here used Cobb as a pseudonym for his own composition.

For starters, you may want to track down settings of each of the Barrack
Room Ballads.

Mike
mrichter at cpl.net
http://www.mrichter.com/