[78-L] Orthophonic RecordLabel

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Oct 5 18:53:46 PDT 2008

> On 10/5/08, S&R Pinsker <spinsker at erols.com> wrote:
>
>> I have some HMV LP's That have an
>> "Odeon" half label pasted over Little Nipper
>> and if I started to excavate could probably
>> find some other types of camouflage.

The Odeon stickers were a product of the Capitol of the World import
series done for the U.S. around 1963.  I have the catalog.  They used a
golden foil with red printing sticker over the trademarks on the
jackets, and these were nearly impossible to remove cleanly.

>> There was a time when the Customs Service
>> enforced trademark protection. Anyone
>> remember how many (rather, how few)
>> discs with Little Nipper a returning traveller
>> was allowed to bring into the country?
>> rdp

Are you talking about the U.S. Customs Service?  I don't think they ever
were concerned with what an individual traveller would bring in, only a
commercial firm.  In the late 1980s several companies like MCA sued Down
Home Records and Tower Records for parallel importing.  We did a session
on it at an ARSC conference in Washington, D.C. and had reps of these
firms there -- but the RIAA, which was coordinating the suits and had
their headquarters a few blocks away,  wouldn't attend.

Royal Pemberton wrote:
> I saw an LP at KTPB years ago which looked to have been pressed in the
> late 1970s or early 1980s, that crudely had 'Angel' stickers stuck on
> the labels over the original label of issue's logos.  UK pressing,
> dark green label (could it have been EMI's Columbia underneath?).

I think these were done in Europe.  These stickers were in color and
were semi-translucent, right?

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com