[78-L] Orthophonic as a Trade Mark

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Sun Oct 5 12:24:44 PDT 2008

I haven't found my way around the new format entirely yet but I did notice some discussion about whether "Orthophonic" was a Victor trade mark.  I just wanted to remind you that although the word initially only referred to early electical recordings and acoustic phonographs designed to play these recordings and wasn't used, (as far as I know), in the 30s and 40s, it was reintroduced in the high fidelity era in the early 50s and into the stereo era.  In the 20s, those with particularly good eyes could see the expression "True in sound" in microscopic writing under the word "Orthophonic".  I read years ago that the word was actually a Greek word meaning, (of course), True in Sound, (just like "Viva~Tonal" was a Latin word meaning the same thing).  I don't think this tiny translation was ever used in the 50s and beyond.