[78-L] Well Done! - and an Orthophonic Record question

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Oct 4 22:21:48 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Maria Fletcher" <riafletcher at gmail.com>
> Hi all
> I too am new to this list and really appreciate it - so well done to all
> get such a valuable archive back up and running.
> To kick off with a new post, yesterday I found a boxed set on Victor -
> "Musical Masterpieces (Orthophonic Recording) of Franck Symphony in D
> Minor
> - Stokowski and the Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra." M 22 6725.
> Each of the Red Seal discs has an overlay sticker on it which says
> "Special
> Record, " covering the top half of the label - can anyone tell me why this
> is?

Given your Australian location, these Victor Red Seal discs would have been
imported and sold by the Australian branch of the Gramophone Company.

Since there were legal differences pertaining to who owned the rights to
"Nipper" as one switched continents, labels of UK records sold in the
US Of A...or vice versa...it was necessary to use "pasteover" labels
covering the contended/trade-marked canine in other geographic
locations...?!

...stevenc